Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fruit Island


My piece started out as a photograph of an island fruit-scape made of bananas, kiwis and tiny oranges. Having spent a few years on a tropical island and remembering the abundance of fresh fruit, this seemed like the perfect inspiration. 

Of course, I also wanted a way to bring technology into the final project so I took the photo into a kaleidoscope software program and manipulated it until I had something pleasing. The final selections were printed onto printer fabric. The smaller version was cut and portions added to the corners. 







The quilt was then embellished with hand stitching using silk thread, beading, decorative machine stitching, as well as micro stippling. 






The darker beads in the corner blocks represent the kiwi seeds in the original photograph.














The border and binding fabrics are meant to mimic the flora, water and sand of a tropical island.


 The inspiration photo became a part of the quilt label on the back of the piece.















The quilt was photographed against my own
banana trees.



3 comments:

  1. Kari! WE are honored to have you as part of the group! This piece is beautiful and full of thought and representations. And the fact that you have a banana tree and a tortoise too, makes me envious! Beautiful work and thank you for posting even if it's a little late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun piece, it makes me feel happy. I am also jealous that you have banana trees!
    Did I mention what a great name you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours! And, like Karrie, it makes me feel happy and smiley!

    ReplyDelete