Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bwama Island



I took a photo of Bwama Island, an Island in Lake Bunyoni, Uganda a few years ago with the idea that I would someday make a quilt to remind me of a visit to Bushara Island. I also took 2 classes with Sue Benner, one on abstraction and the other about landscapes. I love the way she uses strips, and decided I would try her method. I love the result, and am anxious to make more using the same technique.



The strips I used are sari silk purchases at the Back Porch quilt store in Pacific Grove, California. They come in a variety of colors and designs and are twisted up into a skein, much like yarn. Obviously my someday is here! This exercise stretched me somewhat, and I am anxious to do more.


This is the full size 12 x 12 picture of Bwama Island challenge quilt. Actually, it is terraced fields given by the local Diocese to women who are able to till the land and feed their families with the produce. I used raw edge strips, laid out to represent the terraces as they rise out of Lake Bunyoni. I have folded some pieces to create abstract plants and thread painting to make the reeds in the lake.



OK Barbara, what's the next challenge theme? Gladys is sitting beside me as I do this because I am technologically challenged, and she promises to have hers posted today as well, and when she does, she'll start nagging!

7 comments:

  1. Great colour! I tend to be too literal and want to translate too precisely (which is why the 5 first attempts were "fails"!).

    I love that you have a friend nearby to help you! All my neighbours ride horses, milk cows or shear sheep!

    I too am anxiously awaiting the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, this is so wonderful. Those sari silks are just magnificent in this piece, and push the colours of the landscape so much further, and are so much more exciting than the natural colours. Of course, that's my bias, in case you didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful piece Joan, and you've more than accomplished your goal of an abstract representation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a litle worried that I didn't see beads in the first shot that clearly, Joan, but yes they are there and it is a great fun piece. A great way to do terraces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm back to finish my comment, my keyboard locked up last time-ugh! Love the way you used the silks it's very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you used the sari silks, especially your "abstract plants." The colors are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete