Thursday, July 12, 2012

"ISLAND STATUS"


I pondered whether I was up for the challenge with this group but I will give it a try. After all it is to make you try new things and generally muck along, which is what I like to do. The theme brought all the images that this wonderful island  I live on and its neighbouring favorite cousins have to offer. I thought too of the islands I have visited but I just kept on humming --- I am a rock -- I am an Island --- now get that out of your head. Shows my generation and time warp.
In the end the funny little island in the Thousand Islands took up residence. I titled this piece " Island Status" because evidently you are an island when you have one tree. It brings good memories of a fun afternoon taking mom on a cruise in the St Lawrence Seaway. We chuckled about the status definition but fiqured they had to get to a thousand so what the heck. Notice how these islands become personalities ---anyone else have this problem or should I be looking at "alternate residences " sooner?



I began by resurrecting a failed piece of shibori with some shimmer fabric paint. Thought it might need a little glitz since I'm really not a bling person. I quite like the results. The objective was to explore the possibilites with Transfer Artist Paper ( can easily be ironed onto fabric paint) to see about using an image to thread paint part of and to solve a problem with mirror imaging text to do this. I guess I like messing with my brain but problems were solved in a convoluted kind of way.


It is a fun little memory quilt and show that each island is unique whether it has a castle or a bird box.

.

In the end I got my mind into it, as the business year end stuff was hibernating until August and I had a chance to play. I am on holiday to play for the next month. Dye studio is set up outdoors and the days are warm.

5 comments:

  1. This is a fun piece! Now I have that song stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Janet. I can feel the waves. Happy dyeing I'm sure we will have lots of great fabric to show us when we next get together.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Janet. Well worth waiting for! And your comment about "now get that out of your head" is true....that song has been there all day! Luckily I was quilting so it was good rhythm. Your project is beautiful and I love your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I meant to say that if that is a "failed" piece of Shibori, I can hardly wait to see what your successful ones look like! Let's all try to get into the same alternate residence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hooked at the first notes of, "I am a rock." Your detail stitching is great!

    ReplyDelete