Sunday, March 31, 2013


I have to say this really was a fun challenge! It was great to not take this piece to seriously and just have fun. The Comox Valley is known for its Glacier so I decided to "dress the Glacier" up a bit. 

I threw in a few of my favorite colours and decided to add a whale (I was going to add a flying pig made of wood but decided he was too large and the whale didn't need company) this is all fused on top of a pieced base - two fabrics the sky and water. Just a few tippy trees and Voila! 



Upon returning from my vacation in Cuba, with all its sunshine, I found our dreary rain a little depressing.

However, looking out at the rain drops brought "umbrellas" to mind.
So here we are, lots of bright umbrellas, using different fibres and fabrics,
covered by a Christmas wrapping, similar to organza and stitched down using holofil thread as rain drops.


In a life filled with responsibility for elder parents needs, I found "Whimsical" a difficult theme to work with.  At one time in my life I made art dolls and thought I could easily do something to that effect, but my energy is at a premium these days and I couldn't get started.  

Then I saw something on the Internet, done by Susan Lenz. This reminded me of a class I took with Eileen Neill, entitled "Meltdown and Burnout".  Very fitting for right now, as it was when I took the class too come to think of it.  

Anyway, I read the article and thought "now THAT looks like something I could have a lot of fun doing."  I don't have to be responsible for lining anything up or making anything fun and frolic with no reason attached.  Pretty whimsical for me lately!  

So here's what I came up with, including the reverse, complete with a little bobbin snaggle! 

I have to say I truly enjoyed the process and will be doing it again.  It is laid out on some fabric that is 100% unknown content but I knew it melted so that was what I wanted.  I didn't think the color mattered, but in the end it added to it.  I used a 13 x 13 square and I laid out the first series of squares in varying fabrics....quilting cottons, cotton lace, velvets, satins, whatever I could find.  Then I put a little pinch of fusible webbing on top of each square and put smaller squares, cut freehand, on top of the first layer.  Then I did that again for the third layer.  The squares shifted a bit but I felt that just added to the composition.  

Next I added some bits of fusible wherever I thought they would be good and laid some bits and scraps of foil over that. The entire work was pressed and everything stuck together.  I pulled the foil off and was happy with what was left.  I covered the project with nylon tulle and free-motion quilted in each square, being sure to make lines from each square to the other to hold it all together.  

Two hints....your stitching thread has to be COTTON!  Metallic thread needs to be added at the end when all your melting is done!  

And secondly, the work shrinks, even if the majority of the fabric is cotton and you wouldn't expect it if you want to try one and make it twelve by twelve, start with something over sized.  I suspect it would be easier to cut off a row of squares rather than try to add two to gain the size requirements!  

I LOVE TURTLES by Margaret Kelly

The 12 x 12 group topic this time was "Whimsical" ......."I love turtles". Of course I had to eat the chocolates first :)

I then heat shrunk the wrappers and attached to black background fabric for the body of the turtle. That cost me a few needles, let me tell you! Head and legs are also of black fabric with copper painted on for contrast to the dark background.  I drew faintly on the background where I wanted to place the turtle, then attached the heat shrunk cellophane (floral wrap) to show bubbles in the water.  Also the background is actually 4 small pieces of my hand dyed gradation fabric sewn together.  After the "bubbles" were sewn down, I added the quilting lines.  And finally I added the turtle, binding etc. 

Now...... where did I put that other box of chocolates.....