Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Manhattan IS an Island!

The year 2009 was a very special one in my life.  The publishing of my first book, followed by a trip to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for spring quilt market, and that followed up by meeting two very good friends in New York City for 5 days.  An absolutely fabulous time that left an indelible memory and set the bar very high for anything to match it! 

When the theme "Island" was chosen, and it wasn't my first choice....we can thank Joan for this one, I had so many ideas that I didn't know where to start. Joan knows.....she heard about all of my ideas....seagulls on logs, grandmas with babies in their lap, etc.  Procrastination being one of my stronger character faults.....I thought and thought, but there was no action.  It was an easy theme for someone who lives on an island (Vancouver Island), and especially when that someone knows people who live on even more remote islands which she gets to visit regularly!  There were also the predictable "No Man is an Island" phrase....and you should have seen the man I was going to create....but I digress! 

I was pondering between three of what I thought were really good ideas when one of the friends I met in Manhattan and I went for a long beach walk here at home.  She wiggled her eyebrows and said "Manhattan is an Island"......and smirked.  That was it.  I loved the idea.  So here it is. 


This is a collage/improvisationally pieced/bead embellished/thread painted and quilted representation of some of my favorite things in New York City.  There are so many more!  But I chose these from my photographs, printed them on fabric, pieced them into pieces of sari silk (yes I shopped where Joan did), clothing, hand dyed fabric, lame and best of all, some words (Manhattan, Times Square, Grand Central & Broadway) are from commercial fabrics purchased at City Quilter in NYC!  

I love to embellish my work, and in this project I worked with individual sequins and learned how to lay them out in a line.  Not my favorite enterprise, but they seemed just right to represent the marquee lights.   I used some square sequins that are meant to represent windows on the NASDAQ building, and trimmed them to varying sizes to fit with the shape of the building in my photo.  I have more embellishing to do, but this could go on forever so I thought I better just post it as it's close!  I want to add some thread painting and a few more beads.



4 comments:

  1. Gladys - I am amazed at the emotions that all of these quilts have evoked in me. My Canadian-born niece and nephew are both living in NY (one due to marriage and the other due to dental school). I think I heard taxis honking, smelled vendors' food and heard Broadway musicals with this piece! I forgive you for procrastinating - but let's get on with the new challenge SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dale. Your comment made me smile because those are exactly the things I thought of when I was constructing it! Made me feel like I succeeded in portraying my very special memories! I'm craving one of those hot dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to New York but I think I get you feeling from this. Cannot wait to see this in next time I see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt, but just as much love how the idea came to be. The stories of our art are so important!

    ReplyDelete