Sunday, September 16, 2012

INCANDESCENCE by Dale Kathryn

From 69 to 12
(From the Moon to Mars)

I can't remember when/how I decided that it was time for something completely different - but out came my  Embellisher for this challenge. I machine-felted chopped up bits of sheer polyester fabric, metallic ribbon and fabric, and silk fabric to strips of black Kunin felt. When I was pleased with the overall strip, I attached the next strip. If I didn't like a section of the strip, I removed it. The first section is in the centre right of the following photo.



As I continued to build on the strips, I got more and more excited with the possibilities. I over-layed and under-layed the metallic ribbon before needle-felting it - which left a trail of little sparkly bits throughout the house.  




Of course, I did an oops, and trimmed about 1/4 inch too much off one side.

After I did that, I added some hand- and free-motion stitching and then some semi-precious chips, glass and metallic beads. The edges are just a few rows of black satin stitch. Bamboo batting and Kunin felt backing (which you are NOT allowed to see!)



And here it is ... Curiosity.



Thanks for the great theme, Barbara!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks very much, Karri. I still remember being under my friend's parents' cherry tree, looking up at the moon and saying "They are walking around up there"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks as though it was so much fun to make. Truly improvisational! I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pippa. I did have fun making this. LOTS of fun!

      Delete
  3. Dale- What a wonderful piece! You have inspired me to get out my embellisher! Kath

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much, Kathy! I hope to use mine more often! When you do, please post photos!

    ReplyDelete