Friday, July 13, 2012

Incandescence

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you all with this word.  I have looked in a couple of dictionaries and they tend to stay with the literal modern use of the word applied to things electrical.I first remember it as the name of the gas mantles that used to light my grandmother's house - 'incandescent globes'.  Wickipedia describes its figurative use as describing a person who is very angry, but I was thinking of the scene in 'Becoming Jane' when she says her writing is going to be incandescent. I would say that the work of textile artists is often incandescent with creativity.
Btw, I have had to start a new post because I cannot work out how to get my computer to accept a reply to a post - any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong or not doing?
Love and hugs, Maudie/Barbara in Cornwall where it is still raining, but the ferns and foxgloves in the hedgegrows are looking magnificent.

8 comments:

  1. When I first read the next challenge my first thought was something lit from within. Then I looked up the definition in Wickipedia also and found " emission of light as a result of temperature" also the anger item. It will be a challenge but I like the idea of something emanating light-now to quilt it???! Should be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - Pippa and I were checking the dictionary too, and found the light/temperature definition. Check the online Thesaurus as well - lots of great ideas. Now to choose one.......or two....

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because somehow I posted it twice. Some of us are technically challenged!

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This theme is fabulous. It has caused a lot of research and thought already and I have to admit, has me feeling a little intimidated. But then that's what a challenge is all about isn't it....stepping out of your drab color box and getting more adventurous. Thank you Maudie, and I hope I can live up to your great theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the theme is brilliant - can't figure out where my original post went though!

    ReplyDelete