Saturday, December 27, 2014

Exploring Newfoundland



This "Sea" was inspired by my photos from three weeks exploring Newfoundland in August of this year.  Lots of ocean vistas, and many days of grey sky, but a wonderful friendly place to get to know.  After a fair amount of experimenting on 4x6" pieces, I developed waves that I was happy with.


For the base, I used a 12x12" piece of Timtex.  Onto it I fused the blue-gray satin, making tucks as i fused to create the wave effect.  For the sky I got out y fabric paints and sponged on some darker cloud areas, then covered they sky with fine grey net with a sparkle to it.  a line of satin stitch defined the horizon.

Rocks in the sea came from my fabric stash, some of them grayed with fabric paint.  They were slid into the wave-tucks in the satin background. Foam was created with cheesecloth (laid on parchment paper, painted with Modpodge, and then peeled off once dry.)  The stiffness made it easier to manipulate and shape.  Also part of the foam are some strips of sparkly net and the edges of silk "hankies".  These pieces were held in place with strategic bits of Misty Fuse and an occasional dab of Glue-stick so that I could do the rayon top-stitching.

This was really a challenge for me -- quite different from my more usual quilting-type projects.  Great fun and a great learning experience.
Thanks for inviting me to join the group!

6 comments:

  1. WOW! I can't wait to see it in person,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, and like the inventive techniques. I've always wanted to see the East Coast! If this is a representation, I should do something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dale- WOW!! What a way to start! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel the wind in my hair and the sea spray against my face. Brilliant job

    ReplyDelete