Monday, December 29, 2014

Red Sea



Red Sea


I have to admit to procrastinating on this piece. Not sure why I was never a do your homework at the last minute kind of person. I think I was just waiting for the right inspiration.

I started with some ice dyed fabric I made this summer. Then I decided to do some free motion "lace" for the coral. I used Sulky Solvy as my stabilizer and made lots of coral pieces dissolved the solvy away then added the pieces to my lightly quilted piece.It still needed a little something so I added the fish my hand.
I usually work from my own photographs but in this case I looked at a few photos online of coral then just ran with it just using my imagination.
I had a lot of fun and so happy to see so much participation this round.

Here is a close up.

6 comments:

  1. Karrie the colours are amazing and the stitching gives great texture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karrie - I love the dyed fabric and the red coral. And the fishies! Very, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale, always hard to cut into the hand dyed fabric but that is why we make it right, to cut it up and sew it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. These challenges are so wonderful for stretching ourselves and sharing. I love that you and I both used dissolving stabilizer for totally different effects.

      Delete
  4. I love how the coral "grows into" this piece! And I'm very impressed with your daring use of colour -- I'd never guess that red could look so right!

    ReplyDelete