Friday, December 19, 2014

SWIRL

I am almost finished an 18x36" "ocean" piece for another group, so I was pleased the "sea" was selected for our current theme.


 

I chose to represent the earth's wonderful sea water and its movement.  In this piece, I tried to invoke the gentle calm swirling the sea does, enveloping bits of bubbly froth and foam.  I based SWIRL from a photo my husband took at Friendly Cove on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

The background fabric was hand painted with Procion MX dyes after protecting the froth and foam areas with soy wax.  The quilting lines are supposed to mimic the movements of the gentle side of the ocean!

I'd like to welcome the new members to this online 12x12 group as well as to returning members.  Hopefully 2015 will be positive for all.  (I'm away now so posting early.)  Oops - I didn't have the cursor in the right place but I'm sure you can figure it out! 

6 comments:

  1. I really like this! Colors, and swirls. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you handled the "foam". Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your piece! You have inspired me to get my soy wax out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognized that beautiful fabric!! Great piece Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your fabric, Margaret! The colours (and your fabulous foam) make your Sea look so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple and highly effective. The shading of the fabric and the stitched swirls give lovely calm movement to the piece.

    ReplyDelete