Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Sea - Home Before The Storm

I wanted a stormy sea, using some semi-sheer blue rippled metallic/silk fabric, and its unrippled blue, and gold twin.  I had visions of crashing waves and craggy rocks, but it just wasn't working because, to me, it looked too contrived.

I began this piece by layering some shiny brown poly/organza over batting and cotton and stitched them together with wavy free-motion quilting using decorative threads. I then cut away areas and replaced the cut-outs with the above-mentioned rippled blue and unrippled gold fabrics.

I added lots of beads and semi-precious chips, including aquamarines (water joke ...) for the waves and a pewter Christmas ornament and brooch that belonged to my late aunt, who loved her walks along the waterfront on Dallas Road in Victoria, BC, loved birds, and loved my sister and me.

Of course, no piece is complete without some glammed and glitzed cinnamon sticks!






5 comments:

  1. Dale- your work is wonderful! I love the effect you created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you've caught the ripply texture of light on water with the shiny fabrics, insets, and rows of stitching. And very neat to incorporate special momentos to the piece.

    ReplyDelete