Saturday, June 30, 2012

Moon Snail Fever

Today was another dreary overcast day, so I decided to do some laundry. After I loaded the machine I noticed a pile of moon snails in my laundry sink. I had left them there after a walk on the beach an had rinsed them out in the laundry room sink. As I picked them up I was struck by how much colour these shells had compared to the ones we usually find on shore that have been bleached white by the sun. I wondered why I hadn't used these moon snails as my inspiration for our island theme??Especially since walking along the shore and picking up shells is one of my favorite island activities?! Well then the fever struck! I had to make something now!! First I put all my shells into a bowl:

Then I pushed a bunch of buttons in our photo program then I got this:

Then I traced this image onto a mint green mottled batik fabric and coloured it with pencil crayons and quilted it with clear monopoly thread to get this:
Whew the fever has passed!





3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I have been wondering what to do with my collection of pebbles and feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow beach walker, I share your passion for picking up bits and pieces. Moon Snails are fascinating aren't they! This is a great piece. I like the way it's mounted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been able to pass a old moonsnail shell on the beach either. Love how you made the compostion and delt with the fever.

    ReplyDelete