Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Island Challenge by Dale

Gladys - I have thoroughly enjoyed this challenge and I thank you for asking me to join this group of talented artists.

This was my first ever any kind of challenge.  As frustrating as it was for me to get started on my island (spending the entire month of April in "The Big City" didn't help), I learned a lot about myself and think that I finally heard the voices of my staunchest supporters - my husband, sister, long-time friend, and two new friends - who, without fail, encourage me in my "experiments" and often make me cry.

I even think I may have heard my own voice and that, too, made me cry. This whole exercise brought out a lot of different emotions - something I was not expecting and which surprised me. I think it's a good thing.

When I first sat down in front of my cutting mat - new blade in my rotary cutter and a cat or two to help with the decision-making - to execute my Grand Plan (which was to "create an island that looks exactly like an island"), I sorted, re-sorted, stacked, folded, ironed, cut, Misty-fused, de-cat furred, and sewed 1/4" seams on FIVE (yep - 5) different 12 x 12 pieces - none of which made want to actually go to those islands, let alone put any more time into them.

I finally realized that cutting up and piecing commercial fabric is not what gives me deep satisfaction, although it gives me pleasure.  Seeking inspiration and that deep satisfaction, I rummaged through my "experiments", and finally found my island.

Close-up of lower left corner
Close-up of lower right corner
My island, which was made at least two years ago, is made from muslin, cheesecloth and white glue/water, and was painted with acrylic paints while wet. I added hand-stitching in perle cotton and silk and cotton embroidery floss, beads and a few pieces of a transparent green ribbon. I used several different metallic and rayon threads in my machine to add more texture and colour. My island is appliqued to a pale celery-green raw silk background. The raw edges are satin-stitched.

My Island.
I anxiously await photos of the other members' islands - and the next challenge.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you, Dale! Well done on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I told you that I read your blog, Kristin! Thanks very much.

      Delete
  2. Amazing piece Dale you should be very proud. I love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much, Karrie. I just wish I better remembered how I made the central portion!

    Will you be posting yours soon? *hint* *nudge*

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it Dale. It shows you put a lot of thought into it. Absolutely held by the colour.

    ReplyDelete