Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fractal Island by Kathy



fractal
 
 (ˈfræktəl) 
— n
1.a figure or surface generated by successive subdivisions of asimpler polygon or 
polyhedron, according to some iterative process




I have been intrigued with fractals for a long time. When looking at fractals, I envision islands, thus my creation Fractal Island.
The main fractal portion is covered in a fine wire mesh.That I embroidered, painted and sewed through.


There is a cluster of seed beads that follow the spiral.   Lastly, trapunto was used to give the piece 3-dimension.


This has been a fun challenge!

Kathy Kerstetter
Kalamazoo, MI

10 comments:

  1. WOW! I love the colours - now I have to go back and have a long, lingering look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment. Once I got the center piece done, I lingered over what to do for the background.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! Great colours & texture

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful and holds a lot of talented needlework. I love the way it's raised. Now I have to go "google" trumpunto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK- so I can't spell, it is trapunto. I am not the master of quilters, but I believe that trapunto was big in the 80's. Essentially, you put a little stuffing in from the back side of a quilt. Here is a link:
      http://www.museum.state.il.us/muslink/art/htmls/ks_tech_t.html

      Delete
  4. But you CAN spell. There is "trumpunto" listed as well! It seems to be a Japanese version of the same technique. Whatever the technique is called, it's beautifully executed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What dimension and colour. The challenge has been met and interpreted in a very fun way. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! I am all about the fun of it!

      Delete