Saturday, June 30, 2012

Crash - By Karrie

 I have some beautiful pictures from a day my hubby and I spent along the beaches in the Tofino and Ucluelet BC area. I love the waves crashing on the rocks. I have never made rocks or surf so here is my attempt. First I pieced layered and quilted the background.
Then I painted Tyvek envelopes and cut out rock shapes then melted them, then added yet more paint. Once I had a pile of rocks I laid them out onto my piece.
 The next issue was the "surf" I had some unspun batts (for spinning yarn) so I spread it out onto the piece and liked the look so I put thin slices of Mistyfuse under the fleece and fused it into place.

Lastly I needed the spray so I used a fan brush and added more paint. I stitched the fleece and rocks down by machine. Then I added a border to allow me to stretch the finished piece onto a 12 x 12 canvas. Its a bit more simplistic looking than I had hoped at the start but I learned several new techniques and I like the overall effect. I have not worked much with paint so this was a stretch for me. It was interesting to me how much difference it made just adding a touch of green/blue paint between the rocks at the bottom of the piece. I'm looking forward to the next challenge and seeing everyone else's work, so far they have been amazing.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Karrie - I love how you created your crashing waves! I can almost feel the salt spray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really great Karrie. Can't wait to see it in person. I like all the different techniques in one project! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the step by step with us, Karrie. You are fearless in your use of embellishments - an encouragement to those of us who are less daring. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you play Karrie. Water is hard to capture and you got the mood. Thanks for the photo steps too.

    ReplyDelete