Monday, October 1, 2012

Incandescence by Pippa M.

Here is my response to our "Incandescence" theme. I began by thinking about the sun, and then thought about that most basic source of incandescence - the candle. I thought about incorporating the wonderful Peter, Paul and Mary song - "Light one Candle". But time was running out, and I still didn't have my piece made (I am truly a woman of the last minute!), and so I went back to the very basic idea of light. Which could be the sun, or could be part of a fireworks exhibition. I'll leave it up to you.

I worked with lots and lots of already fused fabrics that I had left over from a class with Sue Benner. I just began cutting them up, and starting with the lighter colours in the centre, placing them on a teflon pressing sheet. Every row or two, I would fuse them together, and then added the next rows. Originally I was going to put it on the background in a horizontal orientation, but I changed my mind at the last minute, and like this much better. I finished with machine quilting in rayon threads, and then added the sun centre at the very end. It's made of a layer of lame, overlaid with a layer of gold netting.

I enjoyed this challenge much more than the last, perhaps because I am much more pleased with the outcome. So bring on the next challenge!

4 comments: