Sunday, September 30, 2012

Incandescence by Kathy K.


It is during our darkest moments 
that we must focus on the light.....

It is the end of the second quarter for our Up for a Challenge 12 x 12 Art Quilt creations. The challenge topic is Incandescence.  This topic, at first, stumped me; after some thought, I turned to quotes which turned things around for me.  My final piece is below:



I started with white fabric and dyed it in stages from yellow to orange to red to violet.  I then used Fabric Etch to create long rays emitting from the center.  I placed black felted wool behind the fabric and begin hand-embroidering and continued hand-embroidering.  I have been to the doctor's office and hand-embroidered, then to the dentist's office and hand-embroidered, onto Panera's and hand-embroidered.  Literally, for the past few weeks, this project has gone everywhere with me and, you guessed it, I hand-embroidered it.  I hand-painted the quote and ended the top by placing a beveled piece of glass at the center of the yellow section (and, yes, it is securely attached). Finally, it is edged with a velvet border.

I enjoyed creating this piece and am looking forward to the next topic being announced tomorrow! Enjoy!







6 comments:

  1. Kathy - this is just absolutely stunning! (What is Fabric Etch?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I called it incorrectly; it is called Fiber Etch, here a link to it: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1647-aa.shtml

    Essentially it is a liquid that you put on your fabric and when it dries- you iron it and the fabric burns away where the liquid was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kathy! Something new for me to play with

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy quotes too and love how you incorporated one into your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had to tell you that I keep coming back and looking at your piece , I can't put into words why but I just love it!

    ReplyDelete