Monday, March 12, 2012

Kathy Kerstetter Introduction

Hello everyone from Kalamazoo, MI!

My husband and I were married almost 16 years ago. We built a home and were decorating it; I had an interior design company come in to quote drapes for our Great Room.  They wanted an enormous amount of money.  I told hubby that I would be able to sew a straight line and set out to purchase a sewing machine....and that was the beginning of my sewing/art adventure.  AND, we still do not have drapes to this day!

I spent 20+ years working as an engineer in the Medical Device Industry. Seven years ago, I found myself tired of working exorbitant hours and had very limited time to explore art; so, I left Corporate America (yeah!) and now teach mathematics part-time at our local community college.  I finally have the freedom to play and experiment with my art.


My work is driven by materials, medium, and process.  I am an explorer that likes to try new and different products and techniques; there is nothing better than dipping into the unknown.  My work is also very compartmentalized: Is there a different process?  What is my material?  What do-dads can I add?  In my head, it is like checking off boxes on a list.

As you can see from my work, I usually play in Jewel-tone colors; nothing excites me more than fuchsia, violet, and citrine.  I often will rip color schemes from magazines or pull out my color-wheel, but most often go back to those jewels!

I am currently exploring wool felting.  I have never been a saver of scraps, but it is now becoming an obsession.  I am love the challenge of using these bits and pieces to create new and unique fabrics.  

I am looking forward to the challenges!




1 comment:

  1. Was your piece "Music to my ears" in a Cloth, Paper, Scissors or Quilting Arts magazine? It looks vaguely familiar (and I really like it!).

    ReplyDelete