Saturday, April 2, 2016

Utah Travels

I love rocks, and have collected many pounds (possibly a ton or more?) of them over the years and hauled them home. The rocks of Utah were too big to haul home: they remain large in my memory and photo collection instead.
After playing with sewing strips to form strata, I switched to a one-colour fabric.  I used a dark fabric for the shadowed parts, and then satin-stitched numerous rows across the rock formation to form the strata lines of the rock.


The sky was mottled with Setacolour fabric paints.  This same fabric was used as the base for collaging all the other fabrics -- cotton prints, nets and sheers --to form the foreground.  They were layered and then covered with black net, and then I sewed curvy horizontal lines to hold everything down.

Finally for some close-up interest I embroidered some prickly desert flowers.
Final result : a version of a Utah landscape.


2 comments:

  1. Your piece sounds interesting but no pics have come up Try to post pics again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. great pile of fabrics in the background. The embroidery add nice texture & interest.

    ReplyDelete