Wednesday, June 10, 2015

LEAVES




I'm off on a trip to UK for 2 1/2 months so managed to get my challenge completed early before we leave on 12th June
I picked some leaves off a tree in our garden and used these for the challenge. The autumn colours are exquisite here in NZ at this time of the year.
I painted a piece of white cotton fabric with Gesso and traced many different sizes of leaves on and then when this was dry I painted them. I then put some iron on vilene for stability and free motioned stitched around drawing outlines and the veins in the leaves. I then cut them out. I then took a piece of silk I dyed in a Shibori dyeing class and used it on the background and after drawing and painting  visoflex with acrylic paints I ironed these onto the background and sewed leaves over top of  these areas. I enjoyed doing this challenge    

4 comments:

  1. Ellen, your leaves are very fall-like. To me, they are floating on water - shibori is just the best isn't it! Of course on the west coast of Canada, we are coming into summer. Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen enjoy your trip. I love all the techniques you have used in this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall be trying gesso on fabric soon. Thanks for the inspiration, Ellen. Lovely colours and leaves.

    ReplyDelete