Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Arbutus Leave

I love trees! I love bark, moss, roots, leaves -you get the idea I love trees and everything about them! So for some unknown reason I drew a blank as to what I should make when " leaves" came up as the challenge. So blank that I didn't start this piece until 5 days ago.
I just had to look in my own backyard.

I'm from the east coast and we don't have Arbutus trees there. I'm fascinated but the way they shed their bark and their leaves.
I waited so long I had to use what was in my stash.

I picked leaves from the yard and used them as " models". I cut leaves from each fabric. I fused two layers together so I had some stability for stitching. Then I used water colour pencil crayons and Inktense pencils to colour each leaf.
I was pleasantly surprised at how the leaves turned out. So now I present to you my Arbutus Leaves.








7 comments:

  1. Your leaves are amazing. So real looking! Love that you only started this 5 days ago, you obviously work brilliantly under pressure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier to work when you know what you want to make!

      Delete
  2. Your leaves are amazing. So real looking! Love that you only started this 5 days ago, you obviously work brilliantly under pressure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Karrie. As usual, better in person! I love how they are floating off the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them, Karrie! I hope you enjoyed this challenge as much as I did. For an east-coaster, ya done good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you've shown the decomposition of the leaves -- the holes and the darkening around them and the broken edges. Very real looking.

    ReplyDelete