Tuesday, October 1, 2013

CELESTIAL by Margaret K.

margarets1ofakind@gmail.com

I had previously done two art pieces based on "celestial" so it was a challenge to come up with a third.  This first photo is of a "full moon rising, Haida Gwaii" from when we were camping there in 1990, the year of a super moon.  The background navy was from old satin curtains.  The full moon was of white satin with Angelina and tulle stitched on top.  It was a perfectly clear night, but I decided to add the cheese cloth for dramatic effect!  A few Swarovski crystal stars and some eyelash wool wrapped around pipe cleaners for trees and depth.

 
 
My second "celestial" project was "Cosmic Ring".  I had just started dyeing fabric and had a pretty little piece ice dyed with a "nice" circular pattern.  I was thinking of fossilized ammonites.  We were cruising the Panama Canal and I wanted a hand project, so off to the bead store.  Lo and behold, more Swarovski crystals and one in particular called a "cosmic ring".  Title and theme established.  Finished on the Lido Deck!!
 
 
 
So this is my third celestial piece!  Again, I was not only hand dyeing fabric, but also playing with various tools and soy wax.  What fun!  I liked the dark multi coloured northern lights kind of effect of the dyes, and I really like what my  potato masher produced.  So,  drum roll, presenting  for your enjoyment, "Spudnik"!
 
 
 
More Swarovski crystals and a touch of Angelina to get a focal point.  Hologram thread over supporting spudniks as they return to their home base.  What more can I say.....  

 


5 comments:

  1. Too bad we can't add sound effects....Spudnik..badomda! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a giggle about Sputnik, since I remember the monkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But remember, this one is Spudnik - as in the potato masher UFO!

      Delete
  3. I believe auto-correct kicked in without me noticing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, these are ALL beautiful. I can't decide which one I like best. I think you did a fabulous job on the moon and I'd love to see that part of our paradise. I love embellishing and so your "Cosmic Ring" is especially appealing. And as for your "Spudnik" I can just see you smiling as you created that one! Looks like a great technique! Great post!

    ReplyDelete