Sunday, September 29, 2013

Surface

I had a lot of ideas when I chose "Celestial" as a theme for this latest challenge but executing the ideas was a little harder than I planned! Only one piece got thrown out. Several ideas ran into some pretty big hurdles and where abandoned before they truly got started.
So I finally grabbed some crazy supplies and threw caution to the wind and just went where the piece took me without much planning or forethought at all.
I decided rather than make a planet, strange new galaxy I decided just to go for a surface. So this is my interpretation of  what the surface of far away planet would look like - say maybe Jupiter??
For this piece I used puff paint, Setacolor! shaved aluminum from my hubby's machine shop, beads and eyelash yarn.
It was quite a journey making this piece, not quite a trip to space but briefly I felt I had reached the stars:-)

Here is just after I painted the puffpaint.











Here is the finished piece:

 Here is a detail shot of the aluminum.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Karrie! I love how you used the metal shavings! All we have in my husband's "playroom" is sawdust! The texture on your piece is amazing. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karrie, I love the colours and all the different textures. You can really visualize the surface of a planet. MargaretK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karrie, having seen this one in person, the photos do not do it justice. It's a beautiful piece of art, but I have to say I much prefer the surface of THIS planet! Great interpretation of the theme!

    ReplyDelete