Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Frost?

Happy New Year! 


The Frost challenge began smoothly.  I took hand-dyed fabric (ice blue) and layered hand-dyed organza (sage colored) on top.  I painted white snowflakes over the surface.  I then cut the piece into 3" x 3" squares (3.5" x 3.5" with seam allowances).  I sewed them together haphazardly and couched a thin silver braid around the snowflake edges.  I then sewed a inner and outer borders around the snowflakes using a silver rayon thread.  This is what the final background looks like...

I love the look of the background, but it needed something more and here is where my snag came.  I have hit many dead-end trials and ideas.  One of my trials was to add a cardinal bird sitting on a branch; here is my cardinal....


I really like the cardinal, but felt its style did not match the style of the snowflake background.  So, the cardinal "flew the coup".

I finished the piece by adding a butterfly, and here it is.....




Enjoy!  Kathy

2 comments:

  1. Really love your background technique Kathy. And your cardinal is adorable. I hope you saved him for a future project. The whole piece is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun piece! I agree the cardinal needs a home very cute. I really like your use of text.

    ReplyDelete