Tuesday, January 1, 2013

First Frost

This was a challenge that was fun.  So many ideas and so little time with the holidays mixed in there too.  Like many of you, my first thought was a snowflake.  But I couldn't figure out which technique.  Then I got a great idea but it was too late to complete it.  

So, during dinner one evening, I asked my husband and parents what they thought of first when they heard the word "frost".  My Dad said "My geraniums."  I said, with not just a little confusion, "Your geraniums?"  He nodded, said yes and proceeded to explain that after the first frost they are dead!  I thought of a 12 x 12 with a dead geranium and decided against it. :)  

My mother's response was "I think of all the little birds we used to see on the power lines in Edmonton.  When it got cold they would all sit together to keep warm."  Now that imagery I could work with.  And here it is.  



The technique I used is the one learned from Lorraine Roy and that is the background and the birds.  The piece is mounted on satin, which is a royal pain in the butt to use, but it worked and it looks cold. Here is a detail photo of the birds.  


And, I too would like to wish love, happiness and health to everyone in the new year!  

No comments:

Post a Comment