Tuesday, December 29, 2015

"SPICE" (Saffron)

First let me wish you all a Happy New Year 2016
I had a enjoyable Christmas day spent with my 3 boys. I trust all our challenge members also enjoyed a relaxing day. 
I chose Saffron as my spice for my challenge
I used fabric from a sari I was given by a friend for the background and a border for the binding. I thought the colour represented saffron well.   I had fun doing the piece.I encountered a few hic ups along the way when constructing the photo and embroidery but am pleased with the results.
I used some water soluble fabric and printed a picture of Crocus sativus (saffron flower on) and also printed the section printed below and embroidered it in black thread. When I rinsed it the thread in some areas were not secured to well. I also had to paint the flowers after stitching around the petals as the picture disappeared after rinsing I did some embellishing 
I'll need to brush up on transfer techniques for any future projects.
I hope you all had as much fun as I did stitching/making this challenge
   

Saffron
Botanical Name: Crocus sativus
Family Name: Iridaceae
The name Saffron comes from  the Arabic za’faran, which means YELLOW – a sacred colour chosen by Buddhist monks for their robes.

Saffron is hugely expensive: consider that 200,000 flowers have to be harvested by hand to obtain 450g/1 lb saffron.      


5 comments:

  1. Nice work Ellen! Interesting choice. Great details, I love touches of bling. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous colour choices, Ellen. I love the blingy bits, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this piece Ellen. We used the same colours but for completely different spices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your rich colour choices Ellen. And sari fabrics are so glorious. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. The layout and the combination with words draws you into the art.

    ReplyDelete