Tuesday, March 25, 2014

BE

I know this posting is a bit early, but my life is about to get hectic and I didn't want to be late!

Adding a word or words was a challenge.  Picking just the right one.  Why did I pick that one and not another, etc.  My older brother, Bob, was born in February.  He passed away in 2000, but as with everyone who is close to you and passes away, you think of them particularly on special days you celebrated with them.  So last month, I thought of Bob a lot.  Just before he died, he said, "Marg, I've figured out the meaning to life!"  When prodded, he said, "Be."  I have tried and tried to dispute this, but I always come back to "be".  You can add descriptors, positive and negative, but when you take those away, you end up with "be".

For the image to go with "be", I picked my garden Buddha. First, the background fabric was sandwiched and quilted. The Buddha was also sandwiched and hand quilted before hand appliqueing it to the background and before attaching the words  Because I wanted the words to be very subtle, it might be hard to read them all!  Sorry about that.  I wrote or printed each word on paper and put the paper behind clear glass.  I then ironed misty fuse onto the back of a piece of organza, taped it on top of the glass with the words underneath, heated up my cutting tool, and heat cut the words out making sure to have the words lift off the glass with no breaks between letters.  To attach the words, I laid each on the background, covered it with parchment paper, and ironed it in place.  The misty fused words are rather fragile because they are just ironed on - no sewing - hence they were added last.

In case you can't make out the words, they are:  BE, patience, serenity, truth, kindness, harmony and peace.

So my fellow artists, continue to be!  Thanks Bob.  XO

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely calm and serene piece Maragret, it is a great word to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret- I love your story as much as I love your piece. I will now think of your word, be, often. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret this is really good. I love the thinking behind it and it was great of you to describe your process! It's a very serene piece.

    ReplyDelete