Sunday, March 31, 2013

I LOVE TURTLES by Margaret Kelly


The 12 x 12 group topic this time was "Whimsical" ......."I love turtles". Of course I had to eat the chocolates first :)


I then heat shrunk the wrappers and attached to black background fabric for the body of the turtle. That cost me a few needles, let me tell you! Head and legs are also of black fabric with copper painted on for contrast to the dark background.  I drew faintly on the background where I wanted to place the turtle, then attached the heat shrunk cellophane (floral wrap) to show bubbles in the water.  Also the background is actually 4 small pieces of my hand dyed gradation fabric sewn together.  After the "bubbles" were sewn down, I added the quilting lines.  And finally I added the turtle, binding etc. 

Now...... where did I put that other box of chocolates.....

3 comments:

  1. Sad how some of us suffer for our art! Chocolate wrappers rarely looked so good. Great way to introduce yourself to the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, I love the affect of the chocolate wrappers for the turtle's shell. Beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Margaret. I love turtles too and suffer whenever I can! It's amazing how the wrappers duplicated the turtle's "carapace" so well. And your dyed fabric looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete