Monday, December 31, 2012

Frosted Tree
Well here we are the end of 2012 and time to post our next challenge pieces. I have to admit I was a bit stumped at first - how do you quilt FROST? I was hit by inspiration at the Dec meeting of our local quilt Guild we had a guest speaker from Denman Island Barb Martell and she did a wonderful trunk show - in her show she had a white & grey piece all free cut. I was struck by its elegant beauty. Fellow challenge member Pippa Moore had two tree pieces also set with free cutting. The next morning I got to work I knew exactly what my piece would be - it was like all these influences added together with classes taken with Judy Farrow and Lorraine Roy all came together to make my Frosted Tree.
I free cut the outside pieces together then made the tree separately on a bridal satin once I was happy with the tree I then pieced it into my 12 x 12 square.
Once the piece was quilted I added beads then stretched the piece over a commercial canvas.
 Close up of my tree. I really love this piece. I can almost feel the movement of the wind and the cold in the air.

2 comments:

  1. It's just great, Karrie! I need a sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one. Great piecing, great design and I really like the little tree in the large background. I remember seeing scenes like this in frozen Alberta. This one does the "frozen nostrils" thing too!

    ReplyDelete