Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Crispy, Crunchy Arbutus Leaves


The arbutus tree in our yard is forever dropping something (not the dogs!) - whether it is fruit, flowers, bark, or leaves. Fortunately for us, who love to garden, the tree is in an area where my husband can mulch the droppings into the "lawn", which we do not have.  In the winter, we have a "green" and in the summer, we have a "yellow" because we do not water the "lawn". 

Token photo of "the" arbutus tree and Jake and Molly ...



We have had a very early start to what looks like a very long, hot summer this year and the dead leaves are crispy and crunchy underfoot. They are also very colourful - orange, gold, gray, brown, cream. Such a variety of colour from one tree.



Confession time! This piece is not finished - as in "the leaves are not sewn to the background yet". I thought it might be fun to post a trial run on Facebook, where, to my great surprise, Kim Thittichai (my idol) asked if she could post my photo on her page - where it has now been shared by others. I have been completely overwhelmed by the response to Crispy, Crunchy Arbutus Leaves. Since it has been shared without a watermark, I thought I should get this into cyberspace myself.

Tyvek coloured with alcohol ink, cut with a heat tool, Lutradur, organza fused to Lutradur which was coloured with alcohol ink. The background is PFD fabric coloured with alcohol ink.



Thanks for this one, Chris! It was lots of fun. I see great minds think alike. We west-coasters love our arbutus trees!

5 comments:

  1. Yes Dale we do love our Arbutus trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these leaves are wonderful Dale. While the colours are muted, they are fantastic. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the metallic-y glow of these leaves, Dale! It's beginning to look like a wreath of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Chris Please contact me at ctaylorartist@gmail.com I am the author of Pigments of your Imagination Creating with Alcohol inks I am interested in your work..thanks LOVELY

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Chris Please contact me at ctaylorartist@gmail.com I am the author of Pigments of your Imagination Creating with Alcohol inks I am interested in your work..thanks LOVELY

    ReplyDelete