Saturday, January 3, 2015

Seafoam

The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea.
~Anne Morrow Lindbergh


 My piece for 'The Sea' is my interpretation of sea foam. I hooped water soluble stabilizer and heavily thread painted the large foamy pieces.  
This is what the piece looked like when I put the needlework onto the quilted base before I began the handwork.
The final piece.
 And most important, Jack, my adviser and coach in everything I make.

8 comments:

  1. So many places for your eye to look! Very nice....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheryl! I was worried that it was too much for the eye!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous piece Kathy. Love the detail shot of the stitching. Lovely to have a furry helper isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karrie! I love that shot also; I am trying to play with the camera a bit more.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful circles of foam -- and I loved the handwork with French knots! I'm inspired to get out my stabilizer supply and experiment again! I also liked the placement - drifting off the inner squares with the quilting "moving" the foam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! I, too, had not played with my stabilizer for a long while. It was good fun!

      Delete
  4. I love the colours and the technique you used. I just want to reach out and touch it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work Kathy. And your dog looks like a sweetie too!

    ReplyDelete