Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kathy's Abstraction

“An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.” -Oscar Wilde

My 12x12 group had the challenge theme- 'Abstraction'.  I really struggle with creating abstract art and this piece was a struggle throughout. I never quite got into it or as the quote says above- it never became 'dangerous'.  I completed the exercise, but still am not happy with the finished piece, even considered disposing of it.
 An interesting struggle was when I  begun hand embroidering circles haphazardly on the top but it looked AWFUL!  I had marked the circles on the fabric with a Pilot Frixion pen (draw with the pen, iron it and it disappears); I love these pens but when you iron it, it takes a little color with it.  To make lemonade out of my lemons, I made circles ALL OVER the piece, ironed it and made it a design element!


I am hoping my next one is more inspiring!

4 comments:

  1. This is a learning curve isn't it Kathy. Another good quote, from Pablo Picasso: "There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality." Wish I had read this before! Anyway, I don't know about danger in your piece, except for lots of red :), but I do like it. I loved how you made the circles work for you too. Maybe we should make "structures" abstract too... Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it Kathy! If you want to dispose of it I'll send you my address! I haven't done my abstractions yet, but I do have an idea what it would have been. I think this piece is great, the quotes are great, and better yet, I didn't know the Frixion pens removed a little color. What a great idea to use that "disadvantage" to your advantage. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed that this had been posted. Great work Kathy! I would not have known that you had trouble with this one. I really like this piece! Also didn't know about the pens. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete