Monday, June 30, 2014

3

3
I really wasn't sure what to make for "Abstraction" I usually make a thumbnail sketch or work from a photograph when I work. For this challenge I decided to take a very different approach. I had a package of goodies from Stitches Fibre Art that I bought at a quilt show last year. It had various items all hand-dyed for a fibre art project. I dumped the contents of the bag onto my cutting table along with some aluminum shaving from my husbands workshop. I decided to try and let the materials "speak" to me rather than go with a "plan".

I pulled and stretched the cheesecloth to make holes in it and elongate the holes. I chopped the waffle fabric up and sewed it down in the order I cut it up. I then dug thru some lovely foil that I had and added to to my circle section and used a hole punch to punch out more circles. I quilted the piece then hand sewed the aluminum pieces on.
It was fun and challenging to work intuitively and I really that is the beauty of participating in the group :-)
Had to add a close-up

2 comments:

  1. Love it Karrie. I especially admire that you actually USED some of those special treasures we all pick up at quilt shows and stores! Most of us just collect!!! It's good to see it used so well.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been lucky enough to see this one in real life Karrie and it is even better than in photos. I like the way you used the metal turnings, It turned out really well. Great work.

    ReplyDelete