Sunday, April 13, 2014

I am glad I am a tea bag



My favorite quote is from Eleanor Roosevelt, "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong it is until it's in hot water". 

I began with white fabric that I used Jacquard's color magnet on by making a dot pattern with the pen. When I dyed the fabric with periwinkle dye, the dots become darker than the rest of the fabric. 

I hand embroidered the outlines of the letters for the quote. My teacup and its flowers are machine appliquéd with some puff-paint accents. A fine China teacup usually is gold rimmed, so I thought it fitting I trimmed the entire teacup, saucer, and handle with gold paint.

Finally outside of the quote's circle, I did a pattern of French knots. Inside of the circle I did a diamond hand quilting pattern. One of the niftiest parts of this 12" x 12" quilt is the binding, it's the first binding I ever did that was entirely machine sewn with no handstitching needed.

Enjoy!
Kathy

3 comments:

  1. I love it Kathy! I've used the colour magnet also with good success. My what a lot of hand work you did. Certainly worth it. Binding is great - what a time saver. I shall now think of myself as a tea bag too - with gold edges :) Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy this is magnificent. I had not heard that quote but I love it....even more because I am a tea granny! It's such a cheerful and beautifully executed piece that it makes me want to get out of bed in the morning if you know what I mean! I LOVE IT! (Could you share how you did your machine binding? I've been experimenting with that .... on the basis of "If I'm going to do hand work , and don't get me wrong, I love hand work, it has to be on somethig more deserving than the back of a quilt where nobody looks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this saying posted on my wall at work, so I am a fan of this quote. I also am a tea gal, I have a lovely loose leaf tea every morning. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete